Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Sewing / Craft Table Tutorial Using a Hollow Door!

So, my wonderful hubby suprised me with brand spankin'new sewing AND embroidery machines!
 
WOW I was super stoked...until I realized I have to learn how to use them, buy supplies in order to use them...and I need a place to put all of this stuff!! And the wheels start turning...I remembered seeing a tutorial somewhere on Pinterest about turning an old door into a table. So after researching the price of sewing tables, I decided to do that!

Supplies:

1 Hollow 30x80 in. door from Lowes or Home Depot
1 wire basket organizer from IKEA
2 table legs from IKEA
2 1/2 yds of fabric
Staple Gun
Duct Tape
Drill

 First, my hubby and I made a trip to Lowes for a hollow door. I didn't get a photo of this but they are super cheap at $27 per door. The door measures 30in. x 80in.

Second was the idea of adding the legs to the table, I looked at the legs at Lowes but they were pretty expensive, the size I needed were about $22/leg...no thank you!! I had an idea of maybe adding a nightstand or an organizer underneath for extra storage space so we went to Target to look...needless to say Target is very proud of their organizers and night stands...then it came to me...IKEA!!!
Soo off to IKEA we went...I found some pretty cool adjustable legs for the table that measure up to 27 1/2 in. and they come in assorted colors so I got PINK! At only $3.50 a pop these were a huge money saver for me... I got two of these.


Next was the organizer...I found this wire basket organizer near the check outs at IKEA and loved it...you can add fabric over the baskets if you want to put things in there that would fall through the holes...that's a project for a later date...



Now the whole organizer was $37.00 but since this is IKEA and it comes in pieces, and we didn't need the top piece since the table would be laying on top, it was only $14.99 for the metal frame and $3.75 per wire basket bringing it to a total of $27.99! Wahoo! And magically the frame measures exactly 27 1/2 inches without the top part which is exactly what the table legs were! It was meant to be!




Now I'll admit my husband did about 99% of this project and he screwed in the table legs while I was shopping for fabric to go on top of my table...which this is what I found and I loved it! You will need about 2 1/2 yds for this size door. I went ahead and got 3 yards so I can have some extra for other projects. It cost me about $15.00 before tax with my JoAnns coupon!



Once you have all your supplies together, just wrap the fabric around the table and staple with a staple gun and pull the fabric tight to prevent bunching. My husband and I wound up putting the table on its side at one point to fix the bunching.
 






 



Once finished stapling, finish with duct tape and set on top of organizer and voila!! There you have it!
 
Love it!!!
 
 
Price Breakdown:
 
Door- $27.00
Fabric- $15.10

Organizer- $27.99
Table Legs- $$3.50 x 2 = $7.00
 
Total (without tax): $77.09
Total (with TX sales tax): $83.45
 
The optional piece which I did not include because a lot of people have this already is the computer chair I also got at IKEA for $49.99. Still a super cheap project!!
 
<script type=”text/javascript” src=”//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js” ></script>




No comments:

Post a Comment